Remark code N268 indicates that the claim has been flagged because the ordering provider's contact information is either missing, incomplete, or invalid. This information is essential for claim processing, and the absence or inaccuracy of such details can lead to delays or denials in payment. It is important to review the claim, correct the provider's contact information, and resubmit it to ensure timely reimbursement.
Common causes of code N268 are:
1. The ordering provider's name is missing from the claim form.
2. The contact information provided for the ordering provider is incomplete, such as a missing phone number or address.
3. Incorrect or outdated contact information for the ordering provider has been submitted.
4. The National Provider Identifier (NPI) for the ordering provider is not included or is incorrect.
5. The claim form lacks the necessary credentials or specialty information for the ordering provider.
6. The ordering provider's information does not match the records on file with the payer.
7. The claim was submitted without the required signature or electronic signature of the ordering provider.
8. The ordering provider's information is not legible on the claim form, leading to misinterpretation or rejection.
Ways to mitigate code N268 include implementing a robust verification process for collecting and reviewing provider contact information before submitting claims. Ensure that your billing staff is trained to accurately capture all necessary details, such as the provider's full name, address, phone number, and National Provider Identifier (NPI). Utilize electronic health record (EHR) systems with built-in validation features to flag incomplete or incorrect entries. Regularly audit your records and claim submissions to catch and correct any errors in provider contact information promptly. Establish a protocol for your staff to follow up with providers to obtain any missing details before claim submission. Additionally, consider integrating your RCM software with up-to-date provider databases to automatically verify and update contact information.
The steps to address code N268 involve verifying and updating the ordering provider's contact information in the patient's medical record and claim submission. First, review the patient's file and the original claim to identify any missing or incorrect details regarding the ordering provider's name, address, phone number, or National Provider Identifier (NPI). Reach out to the ordering provider's office to confirm the correct contact information if necessary. Once the accurate information is obtained, correct the claim form and resubmit it to the payer. Ensure that your practice management system is updated with the current information to prevent future occurrences of this error. It's also beneficial to implement a process for regularly verifying provider information to maintain compliance with claim submission requirements.