Remark code N258 indicates that the claim submitted has been flagged due to an issue with the billing provider or supplier address. The address may be missing, incomplete, or invalid, which needs to be corrected for the claim to be processed.
Common causes of code N258 are:
1. The address for the billing provider or supplier was not included on the claim submission.
2. The address provided on the claim is incomplete, such as missing suite or apartment numbers, city, state, or ZIP code.
3. The address information entered on the claim contains typographical errors or incorrect formatting.
4. The claim form may have outdated or previous address information that no longer matches the current billing provider or supplier's address on file.
5. The address does not match the address on record with the payer for the billing provider or supplier's National Provider Identifier (NPI).
6. The claim was submitted with a post office box address instead of a physical street address, which some payers may not accept for billing providers or suppliers.
Ways to mitigate code N258 include implementing a thorough pre-billing checklist that ensures all provider or supplier address information is complete and accurate before claims submission. Regularly updating the practice management system with the most current address details and training staff on the importance of collecting and verifying this information can also help prevent this code. Additionally, utilizing claim scrubbing software that flags missing or invalid data can catch errors before they reach the payer.
The steps to address code N258 involve verifying and updating the address information for the billing provider or supplier. Begin by reviewing the claim to ensure that the address provided matches the current and accurate address on file. If the address is incorrect or incomplete, correct it in the billing system and resubmit the claim. If the address is accurate, check that it adheres to the standardized address formatting required by the payer, including the use of appropriate abbreviations and postal codes. Additionally, confirm that all required address fields are filled out, such as street name, city, state, and ZIP code. Once the address has been validated and corrected if necessary, resubmit the claim with the updated information. It's also important to update the provider's address in all payer systems and directories to prevent future occurrences of this code.